Tuesday, October 7, 2008

On Not Being in Kona this Week

Since I never plan on doing a full ironman race (it's not a definitive "no", but it's pretty close), I will likely never make the trek to Kona during World Championship week. Of course, there's an option to go there on vacation, but I don't see dragging my husband around for a week of "hottie" hunting. Honestly, I would love to know what these folks spend on this trip and how do they afford it.

I know I've said it before, and I'll say it again, triathletes have deep pockets and a never ending source of funds. I don't understand - I have a great job and make a very good salary, but just do not have the available funds to travel cross country for races.

So, in honor of those racing in Kona on Saturday, I will depart on my own "sufferfest" - I am planning on doing my first century bike race. Am I trained for such a feat - I don't think so - but I hope to tough it out. My mantra will be that I am doing 40.6 miles less than those doing ironman that day.

I have a group of sufferers joining me - all similarly undertrained for this event. But, come on, it's an organized ride. There will be rest stops with snacks and a lunch stop. There will be two ferry crossings (places to recover) and a trip around the city of St. Louis metro area. I think it will be fun! Ask me at mile 80...with 20 miles still to go.....

All I can say is, if those guys can get through 140.6, surely I can suffer through a mere 100!

No comments: