Thursday, October 30, 2008

Oops I Did it Again

So, an update on the whole bike wreck debacle is that bruises are fading (yay!), stitches are out of my elbow and my lip is all healed with minimal scarring. Ah but, the elbow.....since it was such a deep wound the scab is about 1/4 inch thick - do you know what that feels like? It feels like something that you just need to pull off - but it is not cooperating. In fact, everytime I mess with it, it gets a little puffy and sore - and today it had some pus exuding from it. I hope I have not done irreparable damage - meaning, I hope I don't have to go to the doctor and have them inflict another source of pain.

But this is a little off-track as it relates to my title. In the true Britney Spears-sense of the phrase, I went out running this morning. It was a brisk 40 degrees and my friend and I took off trying to keep warm. About a mile into the run, I felt a twinge in the joint of my right leg. This should be a signal to me to STOP and stretch or just STOP - but do I listen to those signals - of course not. I am an IDIOT who feels like it will just work itself out. So I continue on with the run, slowing somewhat because it is beginning to hurt. Than about 2.5 miles into the run, I decide to stop and stretch because the pain is increasing - but at this point it is probably too late. I do stretch for all of about 15 seconds - don't want to keep my training buddy waiting - and continue on grimacing the final 1.5 miles.

I can tell when we have finished running that this is not a good pain. In fact, when I get home I have to limp around because the pain is so intense. I did about 5 minutes of stretching and then I took my shower and got ready for work. Then I hit the 8 hour Tylenol - aspirin combo in hopes that the pain and any swelling will diminish - no not just diminish, but go away.

So, as of now, I feel a little better, but limping is still in order. I hope this isn't anything long term and that by Saturday I can be back to my stupid painless self.

Does it sound like I'm beating myself up - that is because I am.

I have made my elbow worse because I can't be disciplined enough to leave it alone and now my hip/leg is very sore and that is because I do not listen to my body when it says it needs to stop.

There you have it.

No comments: