Thursday, January 1, 2009

Here's to Breathing in 2009

What am I talking about? Didn't I breathe in 2008? Well, of course I did - but my farewell to 2008 was definitely questionable.

We never go out on New Year's Eve for many reasons: (1) we are older, wiser and not ready to die just yet; (2) we are fearful of the Popo (that's what my son calls the police and we don't want any DWI) - on that note I have to say that throughout our lifetime, we have been extremely lucky with the number of times we questionably drove home after imbibing - we didn't get caught, we didn't kill anyone and we didn't kill ourselves - enough said; (3) it's just too crowded to go anywhere.

BUT, last night, we went to a small bar near our house because it was my brother-in-law's 50th birthday - so we felt obligated to go. This turned out to be a huge mistake and one I am paying for today.

I have forgotten how smoky bars can get! We got there about 8:30 and left at 10:30 - I had a headache and felt like I was going to throw-up. One of the guys at our table is my son's girlfriend's father - whom I have never met before. My son and his girlfriend are getting engaged soon - they already have the ring - why aren't they engaged yet? Who knows - that's another story. Anyway, he was lighting up regularly and when he left, I felt a small bit of relief. Then another friend of my brother-in-law and his wife sat next to us and they both lit up the fire sticks. It was really more than I could take so we had to come home.

So add that to another reason to stay home on New Year's Eve - unless there is a smoke-free bar somewhere - oh yeah, they are smoke-free in Illinois - but that's too far to go.

I used to be a smoker - how is that even possible? I can't believe I did that for 15 years of my life - it is so awful and now my nephew is a smoker. My non-working, non-going-to-school 17 year old nephew smokes and his parents go out and buy cigarettes for him. His parents, who used to be smokers and finally quit, actually get in their car and drive to the store for the sole purpose of purchasing cigarettes for the lazy bastard! I asked my sister-in-law, "You let him smoke cigarettes?!" and she said that she didn't have a choice. But, she does have a choice about providing him with them to which she replied that he is difficult to live with unless he has his cigarettes. In my mind, the little slug can walk to the store himself to get them - but that's just me.

OK - I digressed just a bit. But the bottom line is that SMOKING IS BAD FOR YOUR HEALTH - but then you already knew that. I wish everyone else did.

So, I'm home and desmoking my clothes and body for 2009.

No comments: