Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Cycling Time Trials & Tribulations

This is so cool - one of our local bike shops is sponsoring a 5 week time-trial race series. I entered in the Women's 50+ category and have clinched the series. My competition in this series is myself - so where are the other women? There weren't even very many Cat4's - at most 6 and you get points through 5th place.

So the first night, I'm really nervous and decide to start on my own rather than be pushed. That was a mistake, as of course, I had trouble clipping in. I was hoping to be somewhere around 30 minutes for a 15k time trial. My time was 32:09 - so close. And, keep in mind, there was a terrific cross wind throughout the course. In fact, I considered not doing it because of the wind. But my friend signed up, so I felt obligated.

I actually had difficulty in the last 200m due to being on the verge of puking as well as a cramp that tried to settle in my right calf. I had to keep jamming down the peddle to try to avert the cramp.

Second week, I did so much better. My time was 29:33 - huge improvement. No impending pukage, however, still potential leg cramp in the last 200m. I even tried some endurolytes prior to the race to help alleviate any cramping.

Third week - I really pushed hard. No pukage, no cramping - yes! Check my time - I'm one second slower than the week before. Not what I hoped for, but consistent. A friend advised me to focus on relaxing my feet as I rode to try to keep cramps at bay and that worked!

Fourth week - I went to physical therapy for a running injury right after work with the intention of going right over to the time trial. Lucky for me, it was pouring down rain. No TT for me - due to PT. Session was especially intense and I don't think I could've raced if I wanted to.

But, the main thing is, after 3 weeks of first place points - I'm untouchable. I've clinched the series - not that there is anyone racing against me. But, if someone decided to - they would be relegated immediately to nothing better than second place.

Yay for me!

No comments: