Monday, May 12, 2008

Declined

My weekend started out with a physical therapy session Friday afternoon. Those are particularly grueling and I hobble out of those sessions - BUT they are doing their job, as I begin to feel better after a few hours and my hip is recovering. I am able to run now.

Then on Saturday I spent the whole day at a resort called Innsbrook in Wright City, MO. This is an exclusive resort that only members and their guests can use. My previous coach rents a chalet for a weekend every year for a training camp. I was invited to attend this year and decided to spend the day working hard.

The weather was a bit on the chilly side - somewhere around 50 degrees. We were supposed to start the day at 8 AM at the lake for an open water swim. I was carpooling with another athlete/friend and on the way my cellphone rang. It was the coach asking if it would be OK to bike first and swim later in the day - Hooray! Exactly the idea that I was contemplating. This particular resort is extremely hilly and I don't mean small hills. So we begin with 6 miles through the hills and then out onto the flat/rolling countryside for a total of 25 miles. I had a great ride in that I felt fairly comfortable the whole way. Then we suited up for a swim - let's say the water temp was in the low 50's - very cold and I couldn't get my face in the water. After backstroking, sidestroking and swimming with my head out, we headed back into the shore. As I swam (really swam with head in), I finally became acclimated and was ready to swim some more - but the group was done. We found our way to hot tub - heavenly - and then went back for some lunch. Then it began to rain and thunder.

Luckily, she invited a bike-fitter in to talk about bike issues and to entice us with wonderful new bike toys we should get - like aero helmets, disc wheels or fancy Zipps, etc. When he was done, it did stop raining so we did a quick run and then off to practice transitions.

After that, we enjoyed dinner and watched/critiqued the women's tri Olympic qualifier from Tuscaloosa. Then it was 9:00 PM and really time to head for home.

After I got home, I checked the mail. I received a letter from the insurance company that we applied to for long term care insurance. Our agent talked us into getting this and it seemed like a good idea at the time. There was a health interview involved where a nurse called and asked about any recent doctor's visits. I'm currently being treated for a hip injury that I got when running. I told her about the PT and how nicely I seemed to be healing. The letter indicated that I had been declined for the insurance due to the hip injury - do you believe that! I'm betting that my couch-potato husband who likely has high blood pressure and other assorted ailments but refuses to go to a doctor, gets approved. But we are cancelling it anyway - I can't believe this.

No comments: