Tuesday, September 30, 2008

eBay-ology

Would that be anything like the study of eBay? I have bought and sold many things on eBay and recently decided to clean out a few of my triathlon/biking paraphenalia that I do not use. So I put up four items - a Tyr triathlon backpack (hate it, it's too big for me), a 2 bottle fuel belt that is too small for my fat gut, a stock bike saddle and a Terry butterfly saddle.

I put a starting price of $10 on the Terry saddle. I think I paid about $90 for it, I only used it for one summer and didn't really like it. I also had it on my road bike which was replaced by my tri bike - that I totally prefer to ride.

I have received numerous questions regarding this saddle. Who knew a $10 saddle could generate so much curiosity. Like, how many miles did I ride on this saddle - I don't know, I didn't put a chronometer on the saddle. How many times did I ride on this saddle - oops, again, I forgot to count. One person wants to know if the leather is worn down and smooth - if you look at the picture I posted, you can easily see the designs on the leather - that doesn't seem worn down and smooth to me. Another wanted to know if it was such a great saddle, why was I selling it - let's see, no were in my ad did I indicate it was a great saddle. Actually, for me, it sucked - but everyone has different preferences which is one of the reasons there are no less than several thousand saddles to choose from.

There was actually one good question asking whether there were any splits or tears in the leather and since it is in great shape - I could answer "no" - no tears or splits. Another asked if the saddle was leather. I did post the link to the Terry website and specifically to this saddle so they could get all the specs - and yes, the website says that the saddle is leather.

So there you have it - at this point, I have 20 people watching this saddle and one finally bid the starting $10. So there you have it - a veritable bargain but definitely "buyer beware" before making that all important purchase.

No comments: