Friday, September 12, 2008

Putting Together the New Plan

It's not even mid-September but I'm already on my way to putting together the NEW PLAN. The plan for next season that will make me a better athlete and help me perform better in races. So, you ask, what is this NEW PLAN.

Here it is - Off-Season Intermediate Maintenance Plan by M. Ricci purchased through Training Peaks. I've set this plan up to begin on Monday, September 15. I usually don't start the official off-season plan until around November or so - but I'm ready to get going a little earlier this year. The same coach has another plan that segues from the Off Season plan to a half-iron training program - because next season without any injuries my goal will be to do a half-iron race. Which race? Stay tuned - more on that later.

Next, strength training is always the goal but has always been sporadic at best. Since I've located this truly awesome and affordable personal trainer, this goal appears to be more tangible. I've been working with her twice a week, for an hour each session (can you believe she only charges me $75/month???). Actually, I started at the beginning of July and truly believe that these sessions were instrumental in helping my hip injury heal. I'm hoping sticking with this program will help keep me strong and injury-free.

However, I have to admit that twice a week of going out to her house is getting a little old. And, with the colder weather hovering on the doorstep, it's time to begin planning on taking a lot of my workouts to the gym. The plan that I think will work best for me is to work with her one day a week and have her provide a program for me to do at the gym for the second day. This way, I should already be at the gym to swim, bike and/or run and I can add in my strength training while I'm there. The problem in the past has been the inability to plan some type of strength training to do. Plus, I will have to report back to her how my workout went and if I completed everything on the list. If I find myself slacking, I can always go back to working with her personally twice a week - so all the bases seem covered on this one.

Next goal is to begin planning the races I want to do. The definites at this time are Memphis in May and Hyvee in Iowa. I will probably also do Lake St. Louis again UNLESS the half-iron race I choose is Greater Illini - but according to the race reports, this is a no-frills race. I really kind of enjoy some of the fanfare and hoopla - so not sure this will work for me. My friends will likely be doing Racine again, but I just don't think I can handle a 1.2 mile swim in 50 degree water - remember, I hate wearing a wetsuit. So what are some of my other choices - there is a new 70.3 in Augusta, GA that boasts a flat, fast bike and my guess is that there is no wetsuit swim in GA. There was another one I was scoping, but right at the moment I can't remember what it was.

So, what has happened to all my participation in the local sprint tris? I don't know - but right now, I'm just not motivated to do any of them. I didn't do any of them this current season and admit that I haven't missed them one bit.

That's the plan today - you never know when it might change. So watch this space!!

No comments: