Sunday, September 28, 2008

Stepping Out of the Zone

I think I've figured it out. As we get older, our comfort zone expands (similarly to the waistline) which means that we become less and less comfortable when doing new or challenging things. It's been pretty much believed that the age limiter is due to a decline in physical ability BUT based on folks like Dara Torres, I think the real limiter is the comfort zone.

People say that if you are over 40 that there are just some things that you cannot do - some expectations that you will never realize and we listen to those voices. We should stop doing that and listen only to the voice that helps push you beyond what you think you can accomplish.

Case in point - it is no secret that I do not like cycling on hills. They hurt and I dislike pain. I also use my age as an excuse for not trying things - for example, I'm too old to drag my butt up that big hill. However, I do have to pride myself on the fact that I can hang pretty close to my training buddies who happen to be in their mid to late 30s. These girls are not slackers - they're out there giving it their best and they train hard. I have to give them credit for helping me see that there are a lot of things that I can still do.

Last week, I did a road race (although I had no intention of racing) that was wrought with big hills - two of which, I'm afraid to say, that I had to walk the last parts. It wasn't pretty and if I had been really thinking about it, I would never have done that race. But I did do it and I finished it.

Today, I stepped out on my own and rode from my house out to my master's swimming session. I was supposed to have a buddy ride with me, but he had to cancel due to illness. Now this ride had the potential of being a bit challenging and I'm always reluctant to be out on the roads by myself. But, I went ahead and did it anyway and I feel GOOD about it. That's it - another affirmation that these are things that I can do if I want to do them.

Bottom line, is that anyone who has a dream of doing something should not let age deter them. Now, I'm not saying that an obese person should suddenly get up off the couch and go run a marathon - but I am saying that if that person wants to do this, then that person should find out what it would take to achieve that goal.

There are no life limiters, there are only mental limiters. These can be overcome.

Along those same lines, I always say that I am too old to do an Ironman. I will still go ahead and say that because it comes down to me not wanting to do the work and put forth the effort that it would take for me to complete and Ironman race - but, if anytime I decide that it's something that I want to do - I believe that I will be able to figure it out and get it done.

New motto - No more limiters....rein in that comfort zone and stay in the game!

No comments: