Thursday, November 3, 2011

Whole30 - Day 3

I really want to make my own mayonnaise and my first attempt at it a couple of weeks ago was not a success - however, it did thicken up in the refrigerator and I was able to use it to make a creamy italian salad dressing. I didn't like the mayo on it's own - still too olivey or something. So, I tried again the other night to make it using a blender instead of a hand mixer - total failure....put it in the refrigerator to see if it would thicken again and it just separates. I am not happy with this result at all.

I saw a YouTube video for making mayonnaise that looks wonderful. He uses an immersion blender - so I went and bought one, but I haven't really tried it yet. I did try it on my failed attempt to see if it would come back, but no luck there. This the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz0fLT_k3_U

He makes it look very easy. A couple of things to note, he uses vegetable oil which is not Whole30 - so you have to use olive oil. He also puts in white wine vinegar and a little sugar - also not acceptable. I'm not sure if eliminating those would affect the way it works or not. I also looked at the bottle of olive oil I was using and it's Imported olive oil instead of Pure. I looked at the ingredients and it indicates Refined Olive Oil and EVOO - so that may be why I don't like the taste that much. I may try this approach tonight and see if it works - I'm so afraid of failure again though.

So for Day 3 breakfast - last night I made the egg muffins (http://www.oxygenmag.com/Nutrition/Articles/Clean-Egg-Muffins.aspx) - so I brought two of those and two pieces of bacon. I also have a container of my mixed nuts: almonds, cashews, macadamia and pecans. Lunch I think will be a salad with black olives and some shrimp. Dinner is still to be determined - maybe some organic hotdogs.

No comments: