Friday, November 4, 2011

Whole30 - Day 4 - Mayo Success!

Today begins Day 4 - I've been right on target for the first 3 days, but hungrier than normal. Not sure why. Last night successful homemade mayo. The secret? An immersion blender or stick blender. Put all the ingredients in a container and then pulse with the blender and it miraculously becomes mayonnaise. It looks beautiful! However, I'm not sure I like the taste - it might be too much olive oil flavor even though I used the light oil. I think I'm going to try to make some salad dressings out of it (found a good one for ranch) and then try the next batch with avocado oil or a blend of olive and avocado or even coconut - I found a recipe that uses that.

I made my second batch of protein bites from the Primal cookbook - I really like these. I've been making pumpkin spice lattes in the morning. I got this coffee from CafeFit through a Groupon or something and it's geared towards weight loss so I'm using that in the lattes. Very easy to make - 1 cup coconut milk and 1 Tbs pumpkin heated to steamy in a saucepan, then blend in 1 tsp vanilla and 1 1/2 tsp pumpkin spice. Pour it in a coffee cup (large size) and cover with coffee - yum.

Last night tried the spa water I made with strawberries and oranges - very light fruity taste. It helps to have something else to drink besides water. For dinner I had a salad with homemade avocado dressing and crab legs!

Thinking ahead to the weekend where I hope to cook up a bunch of stuff for next week. The secret to this is to plan ahead. I think I'll make a big batch of paleo chili and freeze it in individual servings. I also would like to make a big pot of chicken soup. I have a recipe for egg drop soup that could be adapted to Whole30 but you cannot find chicken stock that is Whole30. I can find vegetable stock - but not chicken. I guess I'll have to make my own - which I don't think is too terribly difficult.

Right now I'm really having fun with this but also can envision the novelty wearing off and then what? I'm trying to think ahead to what will happen after the 30 days. What do I want back, what can I live without, what should I live without?

Some positive observations - nails are longer (however that might be because I haven't been in the pool as much), prior to the 100% Whole30 I started to scale back and dropped 5 lbs, at first it looked like I had dropped a lot of body fat but my scale must've been in shock and it's only about 2% thus far (no weighing during the Whole30 so I'm going to try to stick to that), bloating and stomach issues are improving, itchy skin is better but my skin is really dry (I am drinking HUGE amounts of water and very thirsty), sleeping better but I'm not seeing an uptake in energy levels as yet, not missing bread/grains or sweets at all (except for my evening dark chocolate bar), eating lots of new things I've never eaten before and would normally turn my nose up.

Some negative observations - must wash dishes much more often because of all the cooking (dishwasher is always full), spend a lot of time shopping for groceries and cooking (almost have to go everyday to keep fresh stock of veggies and fruits) and I always forget to get everything I need, the refrigerator is crammed full of homemade goodies, fruits and veggies making it difficult to find things. I really like tuna salad and egg salad but I don't think my homemade mayo is going to cut it - maybe I'll develop a taste for it.

I'm going to try to go back to my posts and include links to the recipes that I'm using.

Today's menu - Breakfast - 2 egg muffins, 2 strips bacon, some mixed nuts. I also brought an apple and some pineapple. Lunch - thinking of going out but am armed with my avocado salad dressing so I can get a salad with some chicken in it. OR I may go to Crazy Bowls & Wraps - will have to review their menu to see if they have anything that will work for me.
Dinner - leftover turkey and vegetables, sweet potato or something - not sure yet.

No comments: